What Can I Do If More Than One Car Was Involved in My California Car Accident?

A car accident is bad enough when only two vehicles are involved. When more than one vehicle is involved the injuries can be more severe and the legalities more complex. With California’s congested freeways and populous cities, multi-car accidents are far from uncommon. According to LedgerLaw.com, if you are involved in a multi-car accident you should consult with a car accident attorney as soon as possible to discuss who was responsible for the accident.

Under California law, more than one person can be responsible for a car accident. California uses a comparative negligence approach to car accidents. Negligence is a legal term that essentially means fault or blame. Under California’s approach, more than one party or actor can share the blame for the accident. Under comparative negligence, each party can be held responsible for the accident according to their percentage of fault. For instance, if there were four vehicles involved in the accident then one car could be 60% negligent, car two could be 20% negligent, car three 20% negligent and the fourth car not negligent at all. As you can see, there are an infinite number of possibilities for assigning negligence in a multi-car accident.

The important thing to understand in a multi-car accident situation is that if the other actors were more negligent than you then you may still be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. In the example above, if you are car number one then you would not be entitled to recover anything. On the other hand, if you were any of the other cars then you could be entitled to compensation. This works because your negligence is less than the combined total of the other cars’ negligence. If you were car number two then your negligence was 20% but the combined total of the other cars was 80%. Once the percentage of fault has been determined then damages can be computed. If you were not negligent at all in the accident then you will be entitled to 100% of your damages. Exactly who will be responsible for paying for your injuries will be determined by who is negligent and to what extent. You will not need to worry about who will pay and how if you are working with a California car accident attorney.

Negligence is complicated even in simple two car accidents. The best thing you can do is seek the advice of an experienced car accident attorney if you find yourself the victim of a multi-car accident. A car accident attorney understands the complex nature of negligence as it applies to multi-car accidents and can help you understand what your legal options are in your particular situation.

About the Author:
Tricia Mills is an online writer. She write articles of any topics. She treats her work very special as something that inspires her. It is the best way that she could express her emotions. Moreover, she really likes to write articles about the importance of a Lawyer and an Attorney to the lives of an injured victims in an accident cases and personal injuries as a result of others negligence.
Article Source

Related Blogs

Comments are closed.